Baker McKenzie’s Africa Energy, Power & Renewables Experience and Capabilities
Our global Africa energy group operates across all African jurisdictions and we maintain a network of African Relationship Firms in those jurisdictions in which we do not have offices, for support in local law matters. We have a substantial team of energy lawyers with experience in all types of projects and technologies, from coal to renewables power projects (including hydro, wind and solar), oil, gas-fired and nuclear power plants as well as LNG projects, upstream oil and gas and petrochemical and process plants. Our experience covers:
- Equity, project and joint venture structures, reorganisation and restructuring;
- Project finance, corporate finance, IPOs, capital raisings and alternative financing strategies
- Power purchase agreements and supply and services contracts;
- Construction, operation and management contracts, development agreements and other project agreements;
- Government approvals and permitting, planning, land access arrangements and social responsibility issues;
- Acquisition and disposal of power businesses, assets and portfolios;
- Local Government and private participation regulations;
- Environmental and other approvals and compliance;
- Foreign investment, taxes and duties, sovereign exchange including concessions and incentives;
- Investment treaty disputes and commercial arbitration.
We are seeing a number of new business models being adopted in Africa - e.g., gas to power and green hydrogen projects, both areas where we have significant experience outside the continent that we are translating into the African environment.